Nyika’s homecoming propels New Zealand back into the global boxing spotlight 

Share with friends

Email
Facebook
X

David Nyika is right back where is supposed to be – headlining a massive fight with global implications on Kiwi soil. 

The Olympic medallist and two-time Commonwealth Games champion’s August 8 IBF Cruiserweight World Title Eliminator clash with Aussie Floyd Masson was confirmed today at a media conference at Aka, Raddison RED’s rooftop bar in Auckland. 

The clash between the two world class cruiserweight boxers at North Shore’s Eventfinda Stadium is for the highest of stakes – a world title shot in a wide-open division. 

For No. 5 ranked Nyika, a victory over the No. 6 ranked Masson would guarantee the No.1 IBF ranking and a second tilt at the world title he boldly attempted to claim as a short-notice, stand-in opponent for undefeated knockout king Jai Opetaia in January last year. 

While Nyika has no regrets about attempting the most dangerous of short cuts in an attempt to realise his dream of becoming a world champion, he’s glad to be back on a more established track. 

“In professional boxing sometimes the path chooses you,” Nyika said. “I was never going to turn down the chance to fight for the world title, even if the odds were stacked against me. 

“I certainly don’t regret it. I believed in myself then and I believe in myself now. The opponent might be different, but the challenge is the same. I’ve got to win against a quality, world-ranked fighter. That’s the way it’s always going to be when you’re chasing world titles.” 

This time, though, instead of stepping into the lion’s den, it is Nyika who will be welcoming his foe into hostile territory. 

Presented by Stonewood Homes, Nyika v Masson is without doubt the most globally impactful fight on Kiwi shores since Joseph Parker defeated Andy Ruiz at Spark Arena for the WBO heavyweight title almost a decade ago. 

It’s also just the third professional appearance on home soil for Nyika since debuting on the undercard of Parker’s victory over compatriot Junior Fa in 2021. 

The event is co-promoted by Duco Events and Parker Promotions and supported by Auckland Council Events. 

“Being able to fight at home in Auckland was huge for me when I was establishing myself as heavyweight contender so it’s great to be able to help provide that same opportunity for David,” Joseph Parker said. 

Mayor of Auckland Wayne Brown says, “I’m a good mate of Joseph Parker and a great supporter of David Nyika.  

“It’s fantastic to support an event like this in Auckland. It’s great for the city, great for local businesses and great for Auckland’s profile internationally. I’d encourage people to get along and support it. Auckland Council Events is proud to back events like this that bring energy and excitement to the city.” 

David Higggins of Duco Events says that “Kiwi boxing fans have been starved of international quality events, so we’re delighted to be bringing back not just big-time boxing – but good times and quality sporting content,”  

“Our plan was always to have David headlining huge fight nights like this at home in New Zealand. But when you get a chance to fight for a world title you’ve got to take it. 

“David knew the risk he was taking against Jai Opetaia, and he stepped up and gave it everything. It’s a credit to him that he has bounced back so quickly to put himself in position to contend again.” 

The fight is somewhat of a homecoming for Nyika’s rugged opponent Masson. The 34-year-old Kiwi-Aussie battler was born in Te Awamutu, attended Te Awamutu College and contended against the likes of David Light, Nikolas Charalampous and Sam Rapira for national titles and New Zealand Olympic team qualification as an elite amateur before emigrating to Australia. 

As a pro, Masson who fights under the Australia flag, has fought just once on New Zealand soil, defeating noted puncher Navosa ‘Smiley’ Ioata by unanimous decision in 2018. To put that performance in perspective, Ioata would extend Opetaia for eight rounds less than a year later. 

The current IBF Pan Pacific Cruiserweight Champion, Masson has held the IBO Cruiserweight world title, and his resume includes a victory over Joseph Parker’s brother John Parker. 

Masson’s only defeats have comes against Belgian Ives Ngabu and classy Polish 57-fight veteran Mateusz Masternak, a former challenger for the WBO strap who currently holds the European Cruiserweight Title. 

“David Nyika is a fight I’ve wanted for a long time,” Masson said. “As a fellow former Waikato boy it’s pretty awesome for there to be so much on the line for both of us. The chance to win and then line up a World Title fight is a dream come true for me. 

“I’ve got a huge amount of respect for David – but I’ve got no doubt I can and will defeat him. He’s not used to fighting opponents who don’t quit.” 

Nyika’s trainer Noel Thornberry had no doubt Nyika would emerge victorious and move within one solid punch of the IBF title. 

“Good things come to those that wait and train hard,” Thornberry said. 

“David has the skills to go all the way – and down the track he might well get the chance to right that wrong against Jai. He was never going to turn it down, but the reality was he took that fight at three weeks’ notice. It was over Christmas and we couldn’t even find a southpaw sparring partner for him. This time it’s totally different.” 

While the main event is a momentous affair, the show’s undercard is also stacked with unmissable, high-calibre bouts, including a likely second IBF world title eliminator, with undefeated Papua New Guinean-born Kiwi Sheilla Yama (9-0) to take on as yet to be announced international opponent. 

The show will also feature former Warriors star Manu Vatuvei – whose promising boxing career is being managed by David ‘Brown Buttabean’ Letele. 

Outside of the ring Vatuvei and Letele have teamed up to serve their community by providing wellbeing, fitness, motivation and food assistance for Aucklanders through Letele’s BBM charity. 

“For me it is about supporting Manu – who has serious boxing talent – and using the platform for raising awareness about the serious issues that need addressing in our community,” Letele said. 

Higgins said the full entertainment package would be of the same outstanding quality fight fans had come to expect during Parker’s meteoric rise up the heavyweight rankings. 

“These shows are all about a great night out for those in attendance and quality viewing for everyone watching at home, so we’ll be ensuring that the card is stacked with talent,” Higgins said.  

“There will be some further high-profile fight announcements in the coming weeks.” 

Join the Duco mailing list

Hear about upcoming Duco news & events

Post details form

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Event Sponsors