Joseph Parker vs Alexander Dimitrenko
Sat 1 October 2016
Vodafone Events Centre, Auckland
Joseph Parker returned to the Vodafone Events Centre, Auckland where he defeated 6'7" Alexander Dimitrenko.
Parker took on a "giant" test in the 6'7" Russian Alexander Dimitrenko who entered the ring with a height, weight and reach advantage.
Whilst "The Giant" had an upset in mind, it wasn't his night as the Kiwi heavyweight dropped him once in the first and twice in the second rounds, and finally dispatching Dimitrenko in the third.
Parker, the WBO and IBF No1, remains on track for a big-money world title fight with the victory screened to 53 countries around the world. He said immediately after the fight that he had trained for the grappling that Dimitrenko attempted and that he was unaware his opponent was on a knee when he hit him to the body with a powerful right hand for the last time.
Record: W 20 - L: 0 = 20
Height: 6’4” / 193cm
Reach: 76" / 193cm
Rankings: IBF #1, WBO #1, WBC #4, WBA #8
Born: South Auckland, New Zealand
Residence: Nevada, Las Vegas
Alexander Dimitrenko "The Giant"
Record: W: 38 (KO 24) - L: 2 = 40
Height: 6’7” / 201cm
Reach: 83" / 211cm
Rankings: WBA #22
Born: Crimea, Russia
Residence: Hamburg, Germany
Trained by the late Fritz Sdunek, who turned both Klitschko's into World Champions
- Junior Fa - Rising heavyweight and Joseph Parker's former amateur rival.
- Bowyn Morgan - Four-time NZ amateur champ and former Commonwealth Games rep.
- John Parker - Younger brother and next star out of the Parker stable, making pro debut.
- Izu Ugonoh - The Polish undefeated heavyweight is sure to thrill boxing fans.
- Brown Buttabean - Love him or hate him, he's here to make a statement.
Mandatory IBF Heavyweight Challenger
"The Giant" - Former European Heavyweight Champion